Key Points – Communication
- Clear, open and honest communication will ensure that members of school staff have the information they need to support a bereaved pupil.
- It is essential to find out what a bereaved pupil has been told by their family/carers and what they understand of this information.
- Ask a bereaved pupil what they need and how they would like to manage their grief in school.
- Check in with other pupils to make sure they have the skills needed to support a bereaved friend.
- Make sure other members of staff are aware of the bereavement, and the pupil’s wishes, so that school provides a consistent approach.
- Inform members of the wider community as necessary to ensure a consistent approach.