Why does everybody grieve differently?
Each pupil will grieve in their own way, but some important factors will affect the grieving process.
- Relationship with the person who died
- Circumstances of the death
- The individual; personality and background
- The environment
It is important to:
- acknowledge the death
- plan with the family/carers how the pupils will be supported
- be guided by the pupil’s reaction
- avoid preconceptions about a ‘hierarchy’ of grief, for example thinking that the death of a parent may seem more significant than the death of a grandparent.