Personality and background
Every pupil is a unique individual.
- How old is the pupil and what is their stage of development?
- What do they understand of death?
- What is the pupil's personality?
- Has the pupil experienced a death or other losses before, and if so how were these managed?
- How does the pupil act and communicate within the family?
- Are there any cultural or faith considerations? This includes the unique culture within each family as well as wider beliefs. Does the pupil share the beliefs of the adults in the family?
- What are their views on death?
- How resilient or vulnerable is the pupil?
Good communication between school, the pupil and their family/carers will ensure that important information is shared, and will help to build up a clearer picture of how the pupil is managing their bereavement.