What support does the pupil have available in their home and community?
- What is the impact of this loss on the family unit?
- How stable is family life after the death? Does the pupil come from a complex family set-up? If the family is fragmented, the pupil may find themselves sitting between 'warring factions'.
- Is the pupil given the chance to share and express feelings and memories?
- How are feelings expressed by other family members? Children learn to grieve by watching the adults around them.
- Who is supporting the pupil? Does the child have ongoing relationships with other significant adults?
- How robust is their friendship group?
Create a safe and secure environment in school where the pupil feels supported and identify when the pupil and/or the family may benefit from signposting to additional help.