How do you know when you need support?
Being alongside anyone experiencing a loss can be emotionally draining, and supporting a bereaved pupil, particularly so.
Adults need to be aware of their own vulnerabilities as there are times when, due to our own personal circumstances, we are less able to support a bereaved pupil.
Some examples of factors which might increase your vulnerability are:
- Your own bereavement experiences.
- A recent experience of separation or loss, such as divorce.
- Caring for an elderly or ill relative.
- Having a child of the same age as the bereaved pupil.
- Carrying a heavy workload with little time for reflection.
Recognise what is going on in your own life and consider whether you are the best person to support a bereaved pupil at this time.