Key Points – A pupil’s expression of grief
- Pupils will experience a range of emotions and behaviours when they are bereaved.
- What they show will not always match what they feel as they may try to mask feelings to help them fit in at school.
- Feelings include – anger, sadness, worry/anxiety, guilt/regret, confusion, numbness and loss.
- Behaviours include – separation anxiety, physical symptoms, regression, questioning, risk taking, performance issues, apathy, withdrawal and change in responsibility.
- It is important to recognise that a pupil may be grieving, even if the bereavement happened a long time ago.